H.M. Chatham Yacht was launched in Chatham dockyard in 1741, for use as a pleasure craft for the more affluent members of Georgian society.
Yachts were of Dutch origin and came to Denmark and Sweden as pleasure craft. They were introduced in Britain in 1660 when Charles II, on his return to England was presented the Yacht Mary.
In the early days, the yacht was thought of as a pleasure and transport craft only. However, they these vessels found their way back into the merchant service as well as serving very successfully as fleet reconnaissance vessels. Also, as these vessels were very fast sailor, yachts were commissioned as dispatch vessels or packet yachts.
Chatham yacht was rebuilt in 1794, again at Chatham dockyard and was not broken up until 1867, after a very long life.
This kit depicts H.M. Yacht Chatham as she was after this rebuild (1794).